Dressing the family for a newborn session can be super challenging when there are so many people to take into consideration. As a new, exhausted parent, the last thing you want to think about is what your toddler is wearing for photos or what outfit your husband will pick out. So with this post, I hope to help make it easier on you as you go to dress your family for your session!
- Neutrals are best. I’m a huge fan of neutrals: white, black, gray, blue, tan, etc. It makes it super easy to match everyone and these colors are timeless. It also keeps your photos looking clean as well!
- Watch the patterns. Patterns can be great, but be sure to not dress everyone in the same pattern. Or even multiple people in completely different patterns. If you absolutely must use a pattern of some sort, then only dress one member of the family in it and then dress everyone else to coordinate with that particular outfit.
- No logos or characters. Things like logos can easily make a photo distracting and dated. Trust me, you don’t want your son’s favorite Spiderman t-shirt to distract the viewer from your beautiful newborn.
- Pay attention to the details. Does your three year old still have a “tattoo” on her arm from the carnival over the weekend? If she does, then it’s probably best to wash it off before I arrive. Also pay attention to little things like chipped nail polish, hair ties on your wrist, and even plastic jewelry your daughter may be wearing from her dress up clothing. I’ll be watching for these things throughout our session, but the more you catch before I arrive, the more time I have to dedicate to your newborn.
- Don’t overdress baby. Your newborn’s outfit should be the most basic out of everyone in your home. You don’t want anything too distracting and you also don’t want your little one to get too warm during our session either. A simple white or neutral colored onesie works just fine!
- Dress comfortably. At the end of the day, make sure everyone is comfortable in what they’re wearing. Don’t go out of your way to dress in clothing you wouldn’t normally wear or aren’t comfortable in. This means loose, comfortable fabrics, flats rather than heels, etc. And pay extra close attention to what your little ones are wearing. If they’re not comfortable, then they’re probably not going to want to be wearing the outfit in photos.
If you have any questions about what to wear to our session, please don’t hesitate to reach out!